Tuesday, February 28, 2012

My First Post

This is my very first post about learning about Blogger. Right now I am trying to write something eloquent and informative, but it is rather difficult, as it seems to be a bit of a moving day at the library and everyone is banging things around and vacuuming. So I apologize in advance; this is anything but my best writing.

So, what to talk about? Well, we've just experienced a jump break, which means that I've separated my text into two sections - an intro to get readers interested, and then the body of my written piece which goes into more detail. Ever hear of the inverted pyramid style of writing? It's what newspaper reporters use - a catchy headline, just the facts in the first few paragraphs (who, what, when, where, why, and how) and then more details as the piece progresses. The same should apply to blog writing: you don't want your readers overwhelmed by a big imposing chunk of text that takes up your entire page. Thus the jump break. If they're interested, they will keep reading. If they're not, they won't.Which is why you must be interesting straight off - none of this wishy-washy stuff. Just let people know what you're talking about, and make them want to read it - like the cliffhanger at the end of a chapter in a novel, or a movie trailer. That's what the first bit of text before the jump break is supposed to be - it sucks you in and never lets go. Like a vacuum. My world is filled with vacuums right now. One is in my head. Time for a coffee break.

No comments:

Post a Comment